Thursday, June 29, 2017

Success

I can't write much tonight as I have homework still to do.  I just wanted to record a few thoughts from today. First of all, it was a privilege to spend time with the women of HOH. They greeted us warmly and listened respectfully as we taught.  I was impressed by their thoughtful responses to our questions.  What struck me most were their smiles...I know what their lives have been like, the horror they have endured, yet they still smile and laugh.  I saw sparks and spirit in their beautiful eyes.  The woman who only has one arm as a result of her husband's torturous abuse, came up and patted my back to make me feel comfortable.  I am absolutely blown away by their strength and resilience. One woman told us that she only has one year left until she graduates and will be able to have a home of her own. The woman sitting next to her had only been at HOH for 3 months. She couldn't wait to tell us about the approaching graduation of her friend.  The pride was palpable.  What an amazing turn around made possible through the vision of one woman and the commitment of countless others!!  Our lives matter! We can have a significant impact on the lives of others, one life at a time. God is rippling the effect at HOH.  In a country where the problems for women and children seem insurmountable, there is hope.

The teaching part of the day was much easier than I thought it would be.  Although  my Spanish is still in the elementary stage, I used the same strengths I rely on when I teach in English.  I am an actress by nature.  The classroom is my stage.  I had a blast role playing a little girl learning from her mom. Of course, I hammed up the disobedient, distracted part.  The women laughed and smiled as they recognized their children in my actions.  The thing is, we were sharing the language of love.  The native tongue was not all that important.  We were relating as women and moms.  

Though it was not an easy day, I left with a smile on my face and hope in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment