Saturday, June 24, 2017

Mi casa en Granada, Nicaragua

I arrived in Grenada today after a long journey. I left the house at 3:35 a.m. And arrived in Nicaragua by 2:00 p.m. Our time.  Surprisingly, I am not too exhausted despite little sleep over the past few days.  It must be the adrenaline kicking in!  I am so excited to finally be here. My host "mom", Sonia, has been so kind. She made me a delicious dinner and spent a long time talking with me. She is very patient as I try to find the words to express what I want to say.  I am thankful to be able to use Google searches at this stage of my learning.

Anyway, I arrived in Managua and took a 45 minute bus ride to Granada. I was struck by the contrasts almost immediately.  The areas around the city of Managua are very poor.  Many people live in shacks with dirt floors.  There is dirty water and garbage in the streets.  However, as we drove further outside of the city, the streets were much cleaner. The city of Granada is lined with beautiful, colorful colonial buildings. The sidewalks are covered with tiles.  There is a large center square with a park. Horse drawn carriages await tourists for rides.  I promise to post pictures when I have another opportunity to walk about.

In the meantime, here are a few of my home for the next two weeks.
  

Though there are many differences, I feel safe, secure, and welcomed here.  I am so, so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment