Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Noise

It is amazing how quiet sounds. Interesting thought, right?  Well, here there is noise constantly. I was never so aware of the sound of quiet before! This morning at 5:15, I awoke to the sounds of firecrackers. Boom!Boom!Boom! Sounds like engines backfiring.  This happens all day as the Catholic Church nearby is celebrating a festival.  Nobody around here seems to notice much, though. Even their dog, Isi, is stoic to the loud noises. My host mom's baby niece was here on my first day. She never even flinched when the booms sounded and she is only 4 months old!  Last night as I sat watching the neighborhood activity, I was struck again by the many noises in the evening. At one point, a man used a loudspeaker to announce that he was selling fresh eggs and cheese. He drove his truck down the block selling his goods. Horns blare. Bicycle bells chime. Church bells ring. Dogs bark. Music serenades. People call to each other and talk along the way.  As I retreat into my room, the sound of the ceiling fan lulls me to sleep. Despite it all, I am growing accustomed to it and even find comfort in the noise. It is a reminder that this is a bustling place, full of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment