Sunday, June 25, 2017

Laguna de Apoyo

Today began early after my first full night's sleep in several days.  I enjoyed a bowl of fruit for breakfast with my host family and attempted once again to hold an interesting conversation using only Spanish. With each conversation, I feel myself gaining confidence. I am really trying to "sacar el jugo", get the most out of everything.  

And then I was off....I stepped out into the heat of the morning to walk with my host father into the city for my course orientation at the APC Language School.  I wanted to walk there on my own, but he insisted on guiding me for the first day. (For those who know me well, I take pride in my sense of direction.)  Upon arrival at the school, I was struck again by the beauty of  town. The school itself is in a large, historic colonial building across from the expansive town square.  It opens into an indoor courtyard with arches and greenery. Beautiful paintings hang everywhere as it serves as an art school and gallery as well.  How fortunate we are to spend our days learning in such a fine environment!

The group of teachers and medical students gathered for the first time for introductions and tour the city together.  It is a diverse group including elementary, middle, and high school teachers, a principal, nurses, and pharmacy students.  We come from all over the US- Texas, Arizona, Mississippi, California, Illinois, Colorado- all with the common goal to improve our Spanish skills in order to be better practitioners in our various fields.  For all of us, it is a journey outside our comfort zones. Fortunately, we are led by excellent guides who are very well organized and patient with us.

Today's journey included a walking tour of the city with a visit to a Chocolate Museum.  I couldn't help but to think of all my students for whom I'd read "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory". I even took a picture of Willy Wonka in the museum!  After, walking through the sweltering heat, we headed up into the mountain bordering Granada. Swimming in the waters of a lake in a volcanic crater could not have been a better salve to our tired,traveler bodies.  The water was warm, yet refreshing beyond measure! I stayed in for over an hour! I wish you could all be here to soak it in with me.
#FFTFellow

Here are a few photos from the day: 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment