Sunday, July 16, 2017

Food is love

In both Nicaragua and Costa Rica it was clear that cooking and eating are linked as an act of love. Both my host moms went out of their way to prepare wonderful, traditional meals for me.  I ate my way through both countries as a result!  In Nicaragua, Sonia allowed me to wash dishes and cut a few vegetables for a salad, but otherwise, the kitchen was her domain.  My plate overflowed with rich dishes of rice and beans, plantains, fish, salads, and fruits.  Sonia sent Orlando off on daily runs to the market to get the needed supplies.  When I say market, I don't mean a supermarket. They shopped at a huge mostly open air market area not far from the house.  In Costa Rica, Vivian allowed me full access to her kitchen. One night I prepared fresh pesto pasta, salad, and chocolate chip cookies.  Thankfully, the meal was a big hit.  Otherwise, Vivian cooked huge meals for breakfast and dinner.  She made typical Tica dishes that included lots of carbs- rice, pasta, beans, yucca, tortillas, breads, and cake.  I wanted to try everything and did not want to offend her in any way so I ate in abundance.  I definitely felt loved through both mom's culinary efforts.  I took lots of pictures.

Here are a few:






No comments:

Post a Comment