Friday, July 7, 2017

Perspective

Depending from which point we are looking, our view will be different.  From far away, we can see the big picture. If we are up close, we cannot always see the surrounding view.  I am learning a lot about contrasts and perspective during my time here.  I keep reminding myself that what I see or feel is dependent on my starting point.  

There are so many things I have complained about at home. The list is endless- from minor to big complaints. " This light is too long. The internet is too slow.  The air conditioning is too cold. It is too hot in my classroom. I have a big class this year.  I don't like cleaning my house.  I don't want to make dinner.  My yard is so much work. Who left the garage light on again?! DCF does nothing for kids. College is too expensive. We work too hard....". As I said, the list could go on forever.  My complaints come from the places I am in my life at the time.  

Now that I have been immersed in the culture of Nicaragua for the past two weeks, my perspective has changed a bit.  That is, from this point of time and place, my observations are different.  It has been easy to see the contrasts.  Let me focus on education.  Most schools here are old and very basic structures.  The average class is 50 students in a small room. Students come in two shifts because there just aren't enough schools to teach all the kids at once. Education is free and "mandatory" up to the sixth grade. Because of the overcrowding and lack of resources, many students don't learn to read even by the fourth grade.  Kids can't go to school without a uniform.  Those who are too poor can't afford them.  Kids on the street are prey to sex traffickers.  Lots of kids are homeless,yet there are no orphanages and very little government social services.  Teachers go to mandatory meetings once a month where all teachers from their area meet to plan the curriculum and lessons for the month. All teachers teach the same thing across the country at he same time.  Salaries are low.  I heard several stories about women who could not afford to feed their families even though they taught full time. They prostituted themselves to supplement their income.  

My complaints about school seem pretty ridiculous given what teachers go through here!  I have supplies, desks, books, and materials for my students.  I work with my colleagues to plan our teaching weekly. I have access to technology.  We have a social worker, psychologist, and nurse at my school.  We even have a health center!  All students can eat breakfast and lunch at school for free. If they don't have a uniform, we give them one.  Teachers are paid a decent wage (at least in comparison).  The system is far from perfect....but offers much more than in Nicaragua.  That is not to say that I will no longer strive to improve what we do have.  On the contrary, this motivates me even more to seek out excellence!

My day at Granada Christian Education Center provided another example of how there are some things around the world that are not measured by differences, but by unity.  The parents and children that joined us, came with love and hope for the future.  They came because they care about their family's welfare. They came because of the school community. They came to support what we were doing. They came to learn.  
The smiles and giggles speak the same language. The mom's reached across to help us as we fumbled with words. We helped them to see how even lacking in their own formal education, they have the power to help their kids to learn.  Even without books, they can develop reading skills and storytelling.  

Worlds apart, yet not so far away when I think about my school community.  So many perspectives to consider....







No comments:

Post a Comment